Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

More about Arlin Field

The News Journal had an editorial today about the effort to nominate Arlin Field. Their position was very supportive and I appreciate that. I want to make it clear that even though I disagree with the State Preservation Office opinion, I understand and I'm not angry about it or anything.
But here's my take on it anyway: the basic structure of the stadium has not been altered, and the additions are to the backside and haven't been incompatible. The new press boxes are perhaps the most noticeable change, but don't represent an irreversible alteration. All in all I think there should be a lot of weight given to the fact that the use of the stadium has remained the same and less weight to the alterations.
It seems adaptive reuse projects like the Voegle building on N Main St, which was nominated and renovated several years ago, got a lot of leeway with the alterations required for reuse. Specifically on that building, the white vinyl windows seem out of character, although they were installed with State Preservaton Office approval via the federal tax incentive program under which it was renovated. After the renovation, I'm afraid if the Preservation Office applied the same standards as they did to Arlin Field, then the Voegle building would fail the test as well.

I'm under the impression that a property being considered for nomination because of the tax incentive programs will be given a lot more leeway than we were given with Arlin Field.

No comments: