Search This Blog

Sunday, April 18, 2010

courthouse stones

Digging the hole for the foundation of the new Vietnam War memorial has briefly exposed old foundation stones from our fourth courthouse, built in 1873. Court was first held in one of the two 1812 blockhouses on the Square, replaced by a log and frame jail/courthouse in 1816. Courthouse number 3, of brick, was built in 1827 and stood at the center of the north half of the Square. Bricks from that courthouse were exposed a few years ago when the sidewalks were being laid around the Korean War memorial.